Char Siu Recipe
Servings: 6 servings but I suppose that is relative
- 2 lb. of pork butt or shoulder cut into 1.5 inch thick slices / chunks
- 1 c. Shao Hsing wine
- 3/4 c. Tamari gluten-free light-soy
- 1/4 c. Hoisin make sure it has sweet potato puree in it and not the cheap stuff
- 1/3 c. fermented red bean curd mostly the liquid
- 1/2 c. dark sugar with molasses
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbl. minced/zested ginger
- 4 crushed star anise pods
Stir all ingredients together from above.
Boil it for 1 minute and let cool to room temperature.
Put the pork into the marinade overnight (around 12 hours).
Turn the gas broiler on.
Put the pork about 4 inches below the fire.
Turn every 2 minutes for 10-15 minutes.
Pull and rest the meat for a few minutes.
Bring the heat up to 400ºF
Grill 5 minutes on each side. Repeat.
Remove from heat and rest for 3-4 minutes.
It should look exactly like the photo in this recipe. I did not edit the color of the photo in anyway.
This is based on you butchering the butt/shoulder with 2 inch thick pieces.
I don't cook according to weight, I cook according the distance to the center of the meat.
I cut the pork along the grain in nice long 1.5 " thick x 4" long x 4" wide strips.